Search This Blog

Tea Time Veggie Bouquet Salad




I saw a salad very similar to this on Pinterest.  However, there were no instructions to accompany the picture so I decided to post some because many people have asked me how to make this salad.  It is really very simple, but time consuming to make.


First one...a prototype.

Starting with yellow and red bell peppers, I used mini-floral cookie cutters found a Michael's to cut small flowers.  I then used an even smaller heart cutter to cut a heart in the middle of each one and switch out the hearts in each color. I then sliced and cut flower shapes from radishes and cucumbers (These can be seen in the picture of the final bouquet).

Blanch the asparagus spears.  These are about 4-5' in height.  Refrigerate until ready to use.

All blanched and ready to refrigerate.

Wash and slice radishes.  You can use a cookie cutter to cut your shapes, but I found simply trimming them into the shape of a flower with a paring knife produced a better result with a different shape than the bell peppers.  I liked the variety of shapes.
            

Peel and slice the carrots into about 1/4' slices.  Then cut the top of the carrot to resemble a tulip.  Slice a washed cucumber (I used English Cucumbers) into about 1/4" slices and fashion a double leaf out of each side of the sliced cucumber. Just like the picture.  It is very easy!  I loved the look of this little flower.  It looks so cheerful!,

I think you could slice up jicama to make a daisy-like flower and even used sliced beets for flowers.  I'm sure there are other items that could be fashioned into beautiful flowers.

I purchased plastic cups with stems at Party City in a package of 32.  I washed and placed the leafiest lettuce leaves I could find in the bottom of the cup.  I added two asparagus spears and two snow pea leaves to each arrangement to resemble plant leaves.  I then placed all the different flowers on tooth picks and inserted them into the lettuce leaves.  You may have to work a bit with them to get the desired arrangement you're looking for.  When your guests enjoy the salad all they have to do is reach in for the toothpick, and dip it into the dressing and consume. 

My Tea was for 30+ women so I made two recipes of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing with one cup of milk in one recipe and one cup of buttermilk for the other.  Then I mixed it all together.  It turned out perfect!  With the two recipes we did have about 1/2 cup of dressing left over.  We placed the dressing in small ramekins.

Everyone "swooned"  (Swoon: to enter a state of hysterical rapture or ecstasy ;-)) when they saw this salad!  It was truly delightful, and really fun to hear my guests enjoy a treat made especially for them.

Hopefully, you can surprise someone at one of your dining events with this arrangement.  I think they are perfect for Valentines Day, Mothers Day, Birthdays, Showers or just to impress you loved one.  Have fun!  And send me pictures at MakeItDelightful@gmail.com if you make these.  I love to see them!  

If you haven't signed up to receive my blog posts you may do so by going to the top right hand side of the blog and enter your email address where indicated.  I'd love to have you join me in my domestic endeavors. Big Valentine hugs to all of my blog followers.

 XOXOX. Debbie


3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Anita! Lot's of people liked it. It is one to remember. 👍

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete